Subject: Re: Release cycles (Was: Re: RealAudio)
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1997 12:07:56
On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Dave Burgess wrote:

> There is an old saying about "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a
> station wagon full of tapes..."

I attended a coloquium about a year ago describing one of the sky survey
projects. A telescope in NM was going to gather the data, and work with
Fermilab (in Illinois) to process the data. They decided the most
efficient way to transfer the data (many (hundreds? of) GB per night) was
to put it on magnetic tape and FedEx the tapes to Illinois.

> I would like to see a 'make snapshot' added to the /usr/src Makefile, with
> the output going to either a CD or a tape.  This way, I could produce my
> own snapshots from -current (which I sup about once a month) after I've
> had the opportunity to run it on the SDMF for a while.  This way, I can
> determine if the bugs I need fixed are fixed before I commit to a major
> release effort.  I can do my own RE; it's just a pain to do it now.

I just checked in src/etc/Makefile on ftp.netbsd.org. There is a snapshot
target. :-) It tar's up whatever you have in your DESTDIR.

Take care,

Bill