Subject: Re: Release cycles (Was: Re: RealAudio)
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1997 11:52:46

> >  A disadvantage, to be sure--but then, I've never really understood the
> >intense need that a lot of people seem to have for having their OS's
> >distributed on CD.
>
> Leave college (assuming, unwarrantedly, that that's the reason you have a .edu
> address).  Get a modem connection, especially in a rural area with poor phone
> lines.  You'll gain a new appreciation for CDs.

There is an old saying about "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a
station wagon full of tapes..."

I would like to see a 'make snapshot' added to the /usr/src Makefile, with
the output going to either a CD or a tape.  This way, I could produce my
own snapshots from -current (which I sup about once a month) after I've
had the opportunity to run it on the SDMF for a while.  This way, I can
determine if the bugs I need fixed are fixed before I commit to a major
release effort.  I can do my own RE; it's just a pain to do it now.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom