Subject: Re: Why doesn't modload remove linked modules?
To: Matthias Scheler <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1997 13:15:39
Excerpts from netbsd: 2-Nov-97 Why doesn't modload remove .. Matthias
Scheler@lyssa.o (404*)

> is there a good reason why  modload doesn't remove linked modules? I
> would prefer to have them not permanently on my "/usr" partition. IMHO
> they could be temporary stored in "/tmp" and removed after being copied
> into kernel memory.

There is already the "-o" option to modload. One can use script wrappers
or Makefiles to get this behaviour.
I have a use for the link output: It allows to stack LKMs - a new
module can use the definitions of a previously loaded one if it is
linked against this file (with "-A").
This is dangerous because there is no reference counting enforced,
but it is great for driver development.

best regards
Matthias