Subject: Re: Release cycles
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1997 04:40:16
On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Giles Lean wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 97 19:58:42 -0500 (EST)  Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately no NetBSD formal release has been truely stable, even, or
> > especially, on the i386, since 0.9.
>
> I disagree.  In my usage of 1.1/i386 (which I am still running) the
> only instability has been the well known swap leak, which was also in
> 0.9.

I have a system that just run and keep on running.. that was .9a upgraded
to 1.0a. That
machine had heavy DNS activity and eventually DNS just died.  But the
system has been good.. no other problems with it.  Since my upgrade to
1.2d and then g, named has been fine too.. and the system does www, mail,
sql, ftp, and authentication.  Pretty heavy load, but it average about .12
to .20 (486dx2/66 32mb ASUS SP3G).  One time before I put the spam filters
in, the system almost died when I was getting thousands of spams from
prodigy and aol.. that was try to relay thru me... the load was in the
double digits and it was still crawling.. but not dead.

that was my very first i386 machine and it is still running.. today.. had
to sell my A3000 for it :< oh well.

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087