Subject: Re: NetBSD logo
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@ns.feral.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1997 20:36:19
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 20:16:05 -0800
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@ns.feral.com>

>This is all very funny, but I've been kinda bummed about the penguin thing-
>I like penguins (Opus was my fave- now it's Sparky from "Tom Tomorrow").

Geez.  You've never had penguins move in under your house, or under a
friends' house, have you?

>I think, btw, that 'anti-Linux' is the wrong way to go. Over the long term,
>positive attitudes and being in different markets, will serve both camps
>better.
>
>As I've told Jason before- "The AT&T and BSD wars are over, and Microsoft
>won. Don't reinvent this with NetBSD<>Linux."

Exactly. Linux advocates who _really_ ``just cross out DOS in their
tirades and write in Linux in crayon'' aren't worth time arguing with.

Just make a NetBSD kernel that someoen can drop into a Linux ext2fs,
rerun LILO on, and that will boot.  Don't bother about Linux LKMs (of
course) but make everything else run, at least single-user, and
preferably multi-user.  Make the NetBSD kernel *enough* better and
users will come to *you*.

BTW, why is the ext2fs fsck so unspeakably slow?  It feels slower than
even the 4.2BSD fsck. Is there anything we can do to speed up *our*
ext2 fsck?  or is it due to irreparable design flaws in ext2fs?