Subject: Re: NetBSD improvements WAS Re: RealAudio
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1997 08:03:02
Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com> wrote:

>> Why not?  Sure some/many? archs do not support booting from a CD,
>> but that does not mean you can't provide a boot floppy image and then
>> install the rest from the CD.
>
>No, no, that's exactly the opposite of the problem.  I think that most
>architectures actually _do_ support booting from CD-ROM - even many
>newer PC BIOSes do.   So for which architecture do you make CD
>autoboot?   Do you have one CD per autobooting architecture?   That

The Mac port has a booter application that runs under MacOS.  If all the
other supported architectures had a similar capability then a single
CD-ROM for all systems would be possible.  Although this is not much
different from the "boot floppy image" approach, it saves the user from
having to build the floppy from the CD and it could work on systems that
don't have a floppy.

-bob