Subject: Release cycles (Was: Re: RealAudio)
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@tater.mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/1997 21:01:30
On 10 31, Colin Wood wrote:
> Hopefully, the 1.4 release cycle will not last nearly as long as 1.3 :-)

  As I recall, this was said of 1.2 and 1.3 as well.

  If I may make a somewhat radical suggestion: why not simply dispense
with releases altogether?  Instead simply let portmasters (or other
interested parties) put up snapshots (with source, please!) whenever the
spirit moves and the tree is not too badly broken.  Anyone who wants to
put out a CD can simply gather up the most recent snapshots from each of
the ports, perhaps with -current source thrown in for do-it-yourselfers.

  I know I've had rather good luck randomly picking dates on which to do
builds from -current, and I have not found the releases to be particularly
attractive, either from the point of view of being bug free or being up
to date (they're always obsolete with respect to -current by the time
they're released, though it looks like 1.3 might come reasonably close to
being an exception).

--Jim