Subject: Re: mounting non-BSD partitions.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG,>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/1997 10:59:55
Excerpts from netbsd: 30-Oct-97 Re: mounting non-BSD partit.. Michael
Richardson@sande (1133)

>   Speaking of which, can someone please look at kern/4094??
>   Please? It would make my life easier.

I had already looked at it a while ago.
My impression was that it is something one can do to
make his life easier, but it is not generic enough to be
a real solution for the major number allocation problem.
-One day there will be more than 65 "official devices.
-Your solution does not scale when there is more than
  one "third party" driver.

I hope there will come a config-time automatic
and / or dynamic allocation of major numbers.
For now, I use LKMs for this purpose, and I have
to patch the source tree myself to get the features
I want.

best regards
Matthias