Subject: Re: ld.so.13.0 needed when make build
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1997 10:38:46
> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:21:11 -0800
>  Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>
>  > I think this is a different problem. There is a bug in the
>  > usr.bin/xlint Makefile that caused it to miss-install the new `lint'.
>
> The miss-install only happens if DESTDIR is set.  The broken Makefile
> certainly works for me in the common usage (i.e. DESTDIR not set).

Piffle.  It most certainly does _NOT_ work in in the common usage that
you describe, at least in the sources that "random users" see
(i.e. the branch, which developers are stronly encouraged run, and
which therefore I am).

38 [brick] xlint % printenv | grep DESTDIR
39 [brick] xlint % su
Password:
brick# make install
===> lint1
install -c -s -o bin -g bin  -m 555 lint1 /usr/libexec/lint1
===> lint2
install -c -s -o bin -g bin  -m 555 lint2 /usr/libexec/lint2
===> xlint
install -c -s -o bin -g bin  -m 555 xlint /lint
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 lint.cat1 /usr/share/man/cat1/lint.0
===> llib
install -c -o bin -g bin  -m 444 llib-lposix.ln /usr/libdata/lint/llib-lposix.ln
install: llib-lposix.ln: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

The problem is that revision 1.2 of usr.bin/xlint/Makefile.inc has not
yet been pulled up to the branch.  It solved the problem, but nobody
but developers can get to it yet.

chris