Subject: Re: ld.so.13.0 needed when make build
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1997 22:21:11
On Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:44:38 -0800,
  Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

>On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:37:11 +0800 (HKT)
>"c5666305" <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>Yes, this was discussed briefly on current-users before, but to recap:
>
>        # mkdir /usr/lib/crap
>        # cd /usr/src; make build
>
>libc.so.13 was deprecated.  The currect revision is libc.so.12.10 now.

I think this is a different problem. There is a bug in the
usr.bin/xlint Makefile that caused it to miss-install the new `lint'.

I'm guessing that Clarence has built and installed a *newer*, post
-lc13 deprecation, source tree which does (due to the above Makefile
bug!) still has an old bogus ./usr/bin/lint, linked against libc.so.13.
That binary is (of course) failing when `make build' tries to invoke
lint in order to build llib.

(Otherwise, everything else would be complaining too.)

The fix is to do
	  # (cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xlint/xlint/ ; \
	      install -c -s ./obj/xlint $DESTDIR/usr/bin/lint)
by hand to correct the mis-installation.

Or even simpler, just look for $DESTDIR/lint, and if it's there, move
it to $DESTDIR/usr/bin/lint.