Subject: Re: Partly false alarm Re: NFS problems in 1.2G/1.3_ALPHA
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1997 20:58:34
On Sun, Oct 26, 1997 at 10:11:10AM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:

> >Strange that older NetBSD version won't talk to the server.. Can the
>
> I have also had NFS problems between 1.2G and 1.2.1.  The 1.2.1 machine
> could nfsmount the 1.2G directory, but then the directory "disappeared"
> and ls couldn't see it and I couldn't "cd" to it.   Rather bizarre.

You might have seen the same problem as it was in this case: the client
not using a reserved port. On 1.2.1 and older, mounting from 1.2G and
up, you need the -P option. Otherwise you will see exactly this:
the mount succeeds, but the NFS requests themselves don't work because
they are not coming from a reserved port.

- Frank