Subject: gnats spam
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/25/1997 20:13:51
Some of you may be interested to know that the gnats PR database is
being used as a source of email addresses for spam mail.

There are two machines on my network which have never been used for
any purpose other than NetBSD testing and hacking.  No mail has ever
left these machines, except for NetBSD PR's.  No news reading or
posting has ever occurred on these machines, and neither machine has a
web browser.  I can say wih some confidence that one of these machines
has never FTPed to any site except ftp.netbsd.org.  As far as I know,
the only two places the names of these machines would be found is in
my domain's DNS servers, and the gnats database.  Since the DNS server
doesn't have a full email address, and the gnats database does, my
conclusion is that someone is grovelling gnats to get addresses for
spam.

cheers,
entropy