Subject: Re: BEWARE: don't build in-space
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1997 20:14:07
>In message <199710200601.IAA00617@rumolt.teuto.de>you write:
>> While it always (ah, nearly always) worked; with the current directory
>> changes you probably can't update a system in-space by "make install"
>> without a DESTDIR set. No matter how new your new kernel is and what
>> /usr/share/mk stuff you did install - it will most probably completly
>> fuck up your system.

>In what way?  I was just on the way to update my system via make install.
>What hast bitten you, and why is this supposedly fixed by setting DESTDIR?

>> You can recover without external help though - but it takes time and is
>> tedious...

>Just like the last time after an update 3 weeks ago when fsck happily cleared
>/etc's content while doing a remote reboot...

I have managed to get my system into a state where make simply refuses
to build anything at all.  Most of the time it won't find source files
that are in the same directory, or /usr/include, even though they
exist.

I haven't found the solution to this, yet.  DESTDIR didn't seem to
help.  I'd like extra detail on this, or other tips that might get me
building, again.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.