Subject: Re: BEWARE: don't build in-space
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1997 23:13:30
--==_Exmh_775896874P

In message <199710200601.IAA00617@rumolt.teuto.de>you write:
> While it always (ah, nearly always) worked; with the current directory
> changes you probably can't update a system in-space by "make install"
> without a DESTDIR set. No matter how new your new kernel is and what
> /usr/share/mk stuff you did install - it will most probably completly
> fuck up your system.

In what way?  I was just on the way to update my system via make install.
What hast bitten you, and why is this supposedly fixed by setting DESTDIR?

> You can recover without external help though - but it takes time and is
> tedious...

Just like the last time after an update 3 weeks ago when fsck happily cleared
/etc's content while doing a remote reboot...

Gruesse
       Oskar

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.
						    oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de

--==_Exmh_775896874P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBNE0a+bA63tqjeAhZAQEaOgQAnRV0+CiuLdznoLhIkSaVMyq464tBGQPy
HnMRbrPj5WbUVvQcYADTq7JyRUKBBZmmzgWZdRzZZbKvuHlx98e7KFVHI952Uyq/
Pi65zvRsk5MLOghIvKDJ+CcnX7ykbAZ0i2fdJiQFaqXMxL4nFCBIbJIWB1Y0ztla
YS4K5qxIOJw=
=SF6W
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_775896874P--