Subject: Re: ATTENTION: avoid using libc.13
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1997 03:06:35
[ On Mon, October 20, 1997 at 20:00:17 (-0700), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ATTENTION: avoid using libc.13
>
> Normally, yah, you don't back down version numbers... however, we felt
> it would be the least bad of the possibilities.

Excuse me?  Just do not ever revert library version numbers!!!!  Period.

I don't care if it's only been a few hours and only one supscan has run
and only a few dozen people have downloaded it.  Just don't do it.

There's no shame in moving on to the next number, esp. if you've just
bumped it anyway.

I.e. what's been done (the N'th time where N is definitely >1 in the
history of NetBSD libc I might add) is the *worst* of the possibilities.

Just moving ahead cleanly avoids all the problems even if most people
end up never seeing the broken intermediate revision.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>