Subject: Re: WARNING: kernel address changed - reconfig needed
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1997 19:23:14
>> Since the kernel needs more breathing space in terms of VM, and there are
>> no things anymore that directly depend on it having a certain value,
>> I've dropped the kernel VA start address to give it twice more space.

>It may be obvious, since this was sent to port-i386 as well, but this
>was only done on the i386.
>Enough has been changing, though, that you might want to follow his
>advice anyway even if you don't have an i386.  ;-)

OK, here's a question that I've been thinking about, and this brings
it to mind:

Have any of the changes in the last six months to a year required new
boot blocks?

I'm still running 1.28 boot blocks with a 1.2.1 kernel.  In addition
to this change, I remember someone committing something not too long
ago which allowed the boot blocks to pass more boot-time info to the
kernel.

So, will I still be able to boot a totally current kernel with old
(1.1 to 1.2-ish) boot blocks?

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.