Subject: Re: Strange netatalk/afpd problem
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1997 21:34:25
On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:06:49 +0700 Dave Huang writes
> I'm running netatalk and afpd on a NetBSD-current/i386 machine, and
> it's behaving strangely. The client is a Mac Centris 660av running
> MacOS 8.0. I can connect to the NetBSD machine just fine, but when I
> open up a folder, I get a bunch of duplicated files, and the disk on
> the NetBSD keeps on churning, like the MacOS client is still busy
> reading the directory. This is most noticable when viewing as list,
> sorted by filename (called view by name on older MacOSes); when the
> folder is first opened, it looks normal, but after a few seconds,
> duplicate files start showing up and the item count in the info bar
> increases. Although after a while, it seems to reset itself back down
> to the actual number of files in the directory and the process repeats
> itself.
>
> So... has anyone else seen this? I'm pretty sure this didn't happen
> with MacOS 7.5.5, so perhaps it's a bug/incompatibility specific to
> MacOS 8?

I had some problems with netatalk 1.4b2 and MacOS 8.0, especially flashing
icons.  I am now using Adrian Sun's netalk 1.4b2=asun2.0a16 version, which
implements AFP 2.2 (appleshare TCPIP) and apparently also fixes a number of Mac 8.0 related problems.  See ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun for
more.

--
Andreas Wrede              Planix, Inc.
andreas@planix.com         Networking, System Administration, Consulting