Subject: Re: Audio SunOS compatibility
To: None <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1997 07:02:34
Lennart wrote:
>> Yes, indeed.
>>
>> ... and exactly why did we try to do our own format again?
>
> Don't ask me.  It happened before my time.  All I did was to make
> it a little more incompatible :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason why it's SunOS-compatible
is because it grew out of the 4.4BSD work that the LBL guys did, especially
w.r.t. their 4.4BSD-on-SPARC work?  I suspect if someone asked Chris Torek
or Van Jacobsen or Craig Leres they would confirm ...

All I know is that the SunOS compatibility made it *very* easy for me to
port the then-extant MBONE apps to NetBSD on the SPARC, modulo a couple of
problems with there not being a "/dev/audioctl" at the time ...

	- Greg