Subject: Re: port-mips/4277: NetBSD/mips endian probrem
To: None <tsubai@iri.co.jp>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1997 08:44:22
: 	I ported NetBSD to SONY NEWS3400 series.  It is based on NetBSD/mips
: 	and 4.4BSD Lite2.  Because NEWS3400 is BIG-ENDIAN, some modification
: 	is needed (locore.S, mips_opcode.h).

Hellooooo Nurse!  I had _no_ idea this was in the makings.  I can probably
get my hands on a couple NeWS stations without much trouble, possibly even
for free...

This sounds like something that may, truthfully, need its own port ("news"?
"mipseb"?) because there's a lot--I mean a LOT--of stuff in the tree that
rather needs <machine/endian.h> to provide the correct endianness.  (ntohl()
and htonl() some to mind.)  One more platform is great, even though it won't
likely be in the 1.3 release.  I think you should contact some folks here
and consider being a portmaster for it.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.