Subject: Restructuring the FAQ.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/1997 20:41:46
Hi all.

My project for the Winter will be to restructure the FAQ into (as Jordan
usually puts it) "Something that isn't so, well, BIG."

The FAQ, as it stands right now, is a group of 10 400 to 600K files,
adding up to over 4Meg for the HTMLized version.  It tries, as much as
humanly possible, to cover information on all three free BSD variants.
Granted, it probably doesn't do an exceptional job at it....

There are folks that believe that the current version is simply too large.

Unfortunately, as the crafter of the current version (having taken it
over from Terry Lambert back when everything he did wasn't covered by
violations of his 1st amendment rights) I can already tell there are
big sections I am going to want to keep.  This does nothing to reduce
the size.

I went through last winter and trimmed almost all of the 386bsd stuff
out.  The FreeBSD is probably next, but only insofar as it doesn't
impact the NetBSD stuff.  The OpenBSD folks have remained pretty quiet
for the past few months; I'll have to find out what (if anything) they
want left in.

In support of the new FAQ, I've started revamping pieces of my Web Page.
I've added the "Install Notes" for all of the architectures so they are
available from the FAQ Page.

If anyone wants to help with the editting (say over one of the many
school breaks coming up) I certainly could use the help.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom