Subject: Low Memory causes crash...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/1997 13:29:21
Hi All,

This may be an old thing, but I'm not sure as I'm rather ignorant when
it comes to VM issues and the related VM-bugs in NetBSD. But I tought
I'd better report this. I have a '486 acting as an Ether-ISDN gateway
running more-or less -current. A week ago I was moving SIMMS around,
and tried running this gateway with just 4 MB of memory. It failed.

Most of the time it just managed to reach the console login prompt
but then died with some VM-error message (sometimes immediately, sometimes
at a `trigger', i.e. an incoming phone-call, hitting Enter and such).
The thing has enough swap to do its jobs (and swap is enabled for all
I know). It worked fine in single-user mode. With a little more memory
it operates fine multi-user too. I'm not sure even whether NetBSD *should*
be happy with 4 MB, but I always thought so.

If the above signals a bug any of you'd like more info about, ask me and I'll
try to replicate this error/behaviour and write down the exact error-
message and such...

{ Feico Dillema,                                                        }
{ Install NetBSD as first step in your MS-ware 12-step recovery program }