Subject: Traceroute and multiple interfaces
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1997 04:34:04
With the new version of traceroute, I am seeing messages such as:

 % traceroute ftp.netbsd.org
 traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 10.0.0.1 @ de0
 traceroute to netbsd.warped.com (206.86.8.12), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
  1  * * *

This is a problem, since de0 is obviously an internal network, and not my
default gateway to the Internet.

The problem seems to have started with the recently updated version of
traceroute.  It looks like source is ifaddrlist(), which returns a list
of configured interfaces, but returns them in the order that they were
configured.

It seems to me that traceroute should first try to use the default route,
and only if that isn't avaliable, use ifaddrlist().

Does this sound reasonable?

Jeff Thieleke