Subject: mtree permissions and gnats
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/1997 09:06:48
I recently opened a PR against /etc/mtree/NetBSD.dist and
/etc/mtree/special as they were out of sync, and every time I did
a "make install", I had to change groups and permissions on several
files, or get daily harassment from /etc/security.  I can't find
this PR in the data base, as I forgot the number, and running about
half a dozen searches from the web page never turned it up.  (Can
someone improve that?)

"Jon Buller" shows up as the Originator on at least one old PR,
but nothing else appears when searching for that key/value pair.
I'm sure I put "mtree" in the subject line of the PR, but the PR
doesn't appear with that search either.  I thought the PR number
started with 401, but all 10 of those are someone elses...  Finally,
searching the entire text for "jonb" does not show any, although
that should be in the "uname -a" data for all my PRs.  Is there
anyway to find this PR?

I wanted to attach the comment to it that while the two files are
now in sync, they are both wrong.  Should this be another PR, since
the first is now closed?  In particular, from src/share/doc/01.setup/3.t:
(with troff formatting removed)

System security changes require adding several new ``well-known'' groups to
/etc/group.
The groups that are needed by the system as distributed are:
name	number	purpose
wheel	0	users allowed superuser privilege
daemon	1	processes that need less than wheel privilege
wsrc	9	write access to sources
games	13	access to games

But both /etc/mtree files want /usr/src to be mode=755 gname=wheel.
Shouldn't this be mode=775 gname=wsrc?

OK, this is just a trivial nit that annoys me, but now I'm wondering
about the bug database, which worries me a bit more...

Jon Buller