Subject: Re: Questions about 1.3
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@juno.uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1997 03:19:09
> Perry Metzger wrote:
> MINOURA Makoto / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCTCcxOhsoQiAbJEI/PxsoQg==?= writes:
> > Is anyone working for Chinese/Japanese/Korean locale (16bit
> > characters) support?
>
> I'd say that converting to Unicode is probably The Right Thing, but I
> know of no such project. Volunteers are always welcome in the NetBSD
> project, of course. :)

I'd agree with Perry that moving to UTF-8/Unicode is probably the right
thing.

And now for a commercial: I've written some UTF-8 regexp routines, which
have an almost POSIX API, as well as some basic UTF-8 support functions,
and have made them available via:

	http://www.westley.demon.co.uk/software.html

These are used as part of my ssam editor, which is analogous to sed(1)
but recognises the sam command set. It's also available from the same
place. There's also a small, proof-of-concept, UTF-aware grep, mainly used
to check various aspects of the UTF regular expressions.

I realise that this doesn't apply to the Chinese/Japanese/Korean locales
mentioned above, but I'd be very grateful for some help with European
orderings which I don't yet have: i.e. any Eastern European, Greek,
Turkish, Italian, French (existing support is based on my schooltime
French, which is best described as "must try harder"), and anything else
with an alphabetic-ordering. This is so that ranges of characters like
[a-z] match the correct thing in your native language.

End of commercial. Back to normal programming.

Alistair