Subject: Re: Questions about 1.3
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1997 02:13:36
   Shouldn't the kernel test that the dump partition is of type "swap"?

   Is this actually documented somewhere?  Glancing over the obvious (to me)
   man pages I couldn't find this mentioned.

   Ideally, I guess, the kernel should configure the first partition of type
   "swap" on the root device as dump device.

you can set the dump device in your kernel configuration file
(dumps on sd0b).  also, if you enable swapping on a device,
and no dumpdev has been specified, dumps will be abled on this
device...

ideally, a dumpctl(2) call should be implemented and the setting
of dump device moved entirely to userland.

jason, what are you thoughts on this matter?  should we do it
for 1.3 ?

.mrg.