Subject: Re: vnd0 causes "locking against myself"
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1997 20:44:34
On Sat, Oct 04, 1997 at 10:10:06AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Oct 1997 12:33:41 -0400
>  "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>
>  > Andrew Gillham writes:
>  > > And wham, it panics with "locking against myself."
>  >
>  > Ah. How old is your -current? A bug like this was fixed a couple of
>  > weeks ago...
>
> Not really... it sounds like a vnode locking issue, not a vm_map locking
> issue.  the fact that the error messages are similar means nothing :-)

It is a vnode locking issue. There was a PR on this a while ago, and
it was looked into. Pk did a good analysis of the problem, and AFAIR
a suggested fix is to remove locking calls at a certain spot in the
vnd code, because that should be safe and prevent trouble.

I can't remember the PR number at the moment. It would be good to fix
it before 1.3

- Frank