Subject: Re: Questions about 1.3
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1997 17:03:56
On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Phil Nelson wrote:

> >I believe the former was incorrect.  'c' is the MS-DOS partition, not the
> >whole disk.  Mind you, I think this is just conventional anyway.  If you
> >don't have a DOS partition you can use 'c' just like the rest.  Someone
> >will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Currently, 'c' is the NetBSD part of the disk and 'd' is the "raw" partition.
> On all other ports, 'c' is the "raw" partition and 'd' can be used any way
> you want.

On the mac68k port, the "d" partition almost always ends up as the
partition that holds the MacOS driver code, so it is basically unusable to
NetBSD.  Thus, mac68k is also limited to six usable partitions per disk.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |