Subject: vnd0 causes "locking against myself"
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1997 17:37:29
So, I was reading about layering ccd and vnd, and all that.  I
have a machine running qmail, and because of the way it names the
spooled messages after the inodes, it can't be properly backed up.
I decided I should just create an image, attach it to vnd0, and
mount it up under /var/qmail/queue.  Then I can shut qmail down,
unconfig vnd0, and dump the image file out to tape.. :)

In testing this, I created a 64M file as /usr/testimage and did:
# vnconfig -c /dev/vnd0d /usr/testimage
# disklabel -w vnd0 image      <- just has 'c' and 'e'
# newfs vnd0e
# mount /dev/vnd0e /mnt
# cd /mnt
# iozone 50

And wham, it panics with "locking against myself."  I tried it
again, just to be sure, and it happened again.  I'll type in
the trace info, if that will help.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.