Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1997 12:21:14
Markus Illenseer writes:
>  Noone needs to carry all the stuff. I rather think we should distribute
> the stuff to several servers. How about ftp.pkg-68000.netbsd.org,
> ftp.pkg-i386.netbsd.org and so forthn, and one master like
> ftp.pgk.netbsd.org.
>
> FreeBSD has a slightly other attempt: ftp.contry.freebsd.org,
> ftp2.country.freebsd.org and so forth. But we have several ports
> to cover...

NetBSD has a similar scheme:
	ftp.netbsd.org		Master site
	ftp.au.netbsd.org	Australia ftp mirror
	ftp.de.netbsd.org	German ftp mirror
	ftp.nl.netbsd.org	Netherlands ftp mirror
	ftp.uk.netbsd.org	British ftp mirror
	ftp.us.netbsd.org	== ftp.netbsd.org

As to the question of ports. Currently ftp.au.netbsd.org has
2.6GB devoted to NetBSD, but I don't have NetBSD-1.0 or 1.1 there.

*If* the various ports that are able to share userland code
(such as the m68k machines) do so for NetBSD distributions and for
packages, then I think the disk space issues can be alleviated a bit.

IMHO, each `ftp.XX.netbsd.org' mirror should have the full latest
official release, -current source, packages, and possible the arch
stuff if there's been a reasonable time since the release.

I don't really like the ftp.pkg.netbsd.org idea. It's ... unweildy.

Luke.

{ftp,www}.au.netbsd.org mirror maintainer
NetBSD Developer. <lukem@netbsd.org>