Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1997 16:56:01
In article <19971001154050.42802@puma.macbsd.com> you write:
> > > 	68000
> >  This asumes that Atari, Amiga and the Mac-port are finally binary-compatible.
> > Are they? (I dont now)
>
> They have been for quite some time except in a couple of areas.  I
> think they can all use a common libkvm, now (but I'm not positive on
> that--several can share).  The m68k platforms are more than just those

There was what looks like some major work done on this by Gordon (and
someone else?) to make the m68k libkvm work on both proprietary and moto
MMU based systems, but unfortunately one port (x68k) is still apparently
using libkvm.old, so things aren't quite there yet (but much closer than
they were!)

> be able to share most binaries.  The ones that it will probably never be
> possible to share are ones that access certain, specific devices (like
> eeprom).  Others would take some significant work to share more widely

Well, that can be worked around, and it might be worthwhile to work
towards a Grand Unified Userland for m68k...