Subject: Re: bin/2932:
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1997 09:10:06
On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	How about having a 'NOBUILD' variable in /etc/mk.conf...
> + NOBUILD!=if echo " ${NOBUILD} " | egrep -q " ${PROG} " ; \
> +     then echo YES ; else echo NO ; fi

The problem with this is that it's going to spawn a shell in every
subdirectory. When you've just done an update and need to rebuild
the changed programs, this can turn a 3 hour job on a Sun 3 into
a six hour job.

(At one point I had a bug in my new build routines that caused
something like that that was only supposed to be run once to be
run once for every subdirectory, and even some people with faster
machines noticed the difference.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates