Subject: Re: bin/4167: WIBNI sh supported file/command/etc completion?
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1997 14:54:45
> Ditto here - but not in the root filesystem.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is the _only_ place where I
care if the shell has filename completion.   It would make my life
*way* easier when running in single-user mode or doing installs if
/bin/sh had a command history and command line editing.   I'm deadly
serious about this, although I admit it is an ironic response to your
message: if you want a Bourne Shell without command line history, you
should install one in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

Why are people still running tiny root filesystems, anyway?   On some
installs I've done in recent history, I just have a / partition and a
/var partition, with /usr part of /.   Works quite nicely.   On other
installs, I make root 32 megabytes, which is more then enough to hold
all the extra kernels I'm ever likely to need.

			       _MelloN_