Subject: Re: PR bin/2932
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1997 06:21:27
Thus spake Giles Lean
> On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:29:40 -0400 (EDT)  D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > To turn off the build of sendmail.  I'm not sure what mechanism we
> > could use since it affects the makefiles.  Anyone have any thoughts?
> For systems that have customisations to standard components (like
> sendmail) I tend to put checks in the rc files to make sure the right
> versions are started.

As I said in followups, that doesn't help.  For compatibility, smail
installs as sendmail.  While this obviates the need to change startup
scripts and all the scripts that assume the mailer is called sendmail,
it causes problems when a new version of the real sendmail is installed
over the smail one.

> There is no easy way to customise the stuff that the OS thinks it
> owns. :-(

I have just submitted a pr which fixes this using mk.conf as suggested
by Jason Thorpe.  This should also close the subject pr.  The new pr
is misc/4165.