Subject: Re: your mail
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1997 23:51:40
On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Peter Seebach wrote:

> Anyway, the reason the POSIX sh has all of these features is that the
> time when you are most likely to be stuck with "the shell" is the time when
> you are most likely to be under stress, and making typos, and the time when
> you are most likely to be in a hurry.  It's when the system is down.

This, I think, is a good point. One of the reasons I stick to
/bin/sh for everyday use is that that's what I use when I'm most
under stress: when one of my 24x7 servers has suddenly decided it
doesn't like it's /usr partition or its root partition or something
similar. Having command line history at a time when every second
counts is a godsend.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'