Subject: Re: bin/4167: WIBNI sh supported file/command/etc completion?
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@mail.west.spy.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1997 21:00:54
On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> 	Heh, I figured anyone who wanted such features in a shell would've
> gone to bash by now.  :)  I guess I'll stop complaining until /bin/sh is
> bash.  It could be a *lot* worse.

Well, I personally think bash is a bloated mess that really blows
chunks. The only feature the `old' bourne shell didn't have that
I considered utterly essential for interactive use was command line
editing. (Well, shell functions are important too, but those are
also very important for programming.) Somewhat behind it is filename
completion.

I really don't need all of the extra crud in bash, and I certainly
don't need the incompatabilities. (As I said, it's not unusual for
me to write multi-hundred-character scripts at the command
line--something I can do only because we have command line editing.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'