Subject: Re: PR bin/2932
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1997 09:41:17
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:29:40 -0400 (EDT)  D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> To turn off the build of sendmail.  I'm not sure what mechanism we
> could use since it affects the makefiles.  Anyone have any thoughts?

My preference is to avoid the problem and use a stable machine for
mail routing.  My mail hub and Internet gateway is a 486 running 1.1.
Hardly state of the art, but it works reliably.

For systems that have customisations to standard components (like
sendmail) I tend to put checks in the rc files to make sure the right
versions are started.

This doesn't deal with the time period covering 'make build' or 'make
install', but comes pretty close.  I also use this hack on commercial
systems to deal with patch installations and the like that clobber
necessary local changes.

There is no easy way to customise the stuff that the OS thinks it
owns. :-(

Giles