Subject: Re: bin/4167: WIBNI sh supported file/command/etc completion?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1997 20:33:44
>>> [sh already links with libedit]
>> It does?  Hm, maybe that explains the major bloat in file size I
>> encountered recently while recompiling.  Makes me want to submit a
>> PR to compile it _out_.
> Like I said, I think command editing/history is a POSIX
> requirement...

So?

If I could nuke libedit from everything that used it in my builds, I
probably would, and POSIX could go hang.  The only place I use or want
command-line editing is in the shell (and libedit ain't nearly enough
to get that right).  libedit.a is almost a quarter the size of /bin/sh
on one system I just now checked (sh: 352256 bytes, libedit.a: 81794
bytes).  80K isn't huge, but it's not negligible either; it could well
make the difference between fitting on a zip disk and not, especially
after you multiply it by the number of programs that use it.

Bloat is a nickle-and-dime thing.  80K isn't much.  80K times half a
dozen programs still isn't much.  But I've found that taking care of
the pennies does a wonderful job of taking care of the pounds too.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca