Subject: Re: Boot messages into /var/log/messages ...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Luwenth the Lewd <luwenth@netscum.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1997 16:14:30
	Umm... so why would the first boot of 1.2G have saved the messages
and subsequent boots not saved the messages?
	-- Ricky

Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

=On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:46:25 -0700
= Luwenth the Lewd <luwenth@netscum.com> wrote:
=
= >
= > 	I am working on trying to figure out why a recently acquired SCSI
= > tape changer isn't behaving, and I noticed a large change in the
= > information that's being put into /var/log/messages on a reboot.
= > 	It used to be that all the messages to console started with cpu0.
= > Now, I seem to be only getting snippets of all the messages.
= > 	Is this something I likely flubbed in my config file, or is there
= > something else that I'm missing?
= > 	I'm including the messages old and new, and my conf file, if anyone
= > wants to take the time to look them over.
= > 	-- Ricky
=
=Hmm, did you recently update your sources?  If you did, and built a new
=kernel, and didn't update syslogd and dmesg, this could be part of the
=problem.  The way the message buffer is mapped was changed, and the
=expected lossage from not being in sync is a bit like you're describing.
=
=ciao.
=
=Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
=NASA Ames Research Center                            Home: +1 408 866 1912
=NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935
=Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 415 428 6939
--
'94 ST1100 'Turvy'					luwenth@netscum.com
       "We gladly feast on the flesh of those who would consume us."