Subject: Re: email reg... never mind...
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1997 12:18:08
Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>  wrote:
 >  So how about creating a web-page where you can voluntary register
 > your hardware?

I'm wondering what that accomplish other than give you a warm cozy feeling
over knowing that at some point in time, some arbitrary number of people
decided to announce to the world that they once had a machine running
NetBSD. It might also tell you that NetBSD once ran on a certain hardware
combination but since NetBSD is a moving target, it doesn't guarantee that
at any one time, NetBSD-current will be able to run on that hardware
combination.

In no way does it tell you that the machines in the database still run
NetBSD.

I haven't been following this thread so someone might have mentioned
some other benefit that I've missed but I think it's a case of gathering
statistics that are essentially worthless.