Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1997 14:58:41
Scott Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Phil Nelson wrote:
>

> > >No, that's *got* to be impossible, you must be reading something wrong
> > >or *SOMETHING*.  The X server's binary size isn't even half that, so it
> > >can't take up that much memory.  My X server (XF86_SVGA) is under 3MB
> > >and it's *NOT* stripped.  You're reading something wrong or something..
> >
> > He was talking runtime usage, not executable size.  For example,
> > on my i386 system, I see:
> >

> Yes, I realise what he was talking about, but the only way that could happen
> was if he was running something with a *really* bad memory leak.  While it's
> possible, I really don't see how somethng like that could go unnoticed from
> the general population.  That's my opinion, anyway.  *shrug*

Just to add my 2 cents worth (well, 5 cents - we don't have 2 cent coins
here anymore).

I've regularly run my X server up around 20 Mb. Given a large number of
clients, especially those that create a large number of objects
(widgets,
buttons, menus, you get the idea) or those with large bitmaps (open a
few
xv's with large bitmaps), the run-time size of the X-server can go
sky-high.

cheers,
--
Paul Ripke