Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 18:21:37
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:

> > > Well, my X server seems to use 35 MB right now.. plus some 40 MB for the X
> > > applications... ;-) :-(
> >

> NetBSD 1.2 / i386, XFree86 v3.3.  X server compiled not to use the internal
> malloc (because it would make things extremely slow with Applixware).
> I'm using a 16-bit display of 1280x1024, 19 windows (3*Netscape, 1*Applix,
> several xterms etc).
>
> Yeah, I sure wish it didn't eat up that much RAM.  :-I

No, that's *got* to be impossible, you must be reading something wrong
or *SOMETHING*.  The X server's binary size isn't even half that, so it
can't take up that much memory.  My X server (XF86_SVGA) is under 3MB
and it's *NOT* stripped.  You're reading something wrong or something..

Scott

--
Scott Smith
ssmith@taos.com

"Besides, who the hell would use an MS keyboard on an SGI machine, they'd
probably take it back if they saw you doing that."   - dustin@spy.net