Subject: Re: unix domain sockets with open() ability?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 13:51:09
> - a set of vnode v_ops in a uipc_vnops.c that translate vnode
> operations into socket operations.  The socket would then, after
> opening, look like a file instead of a socket, which could be a plus.
> Even internal vnode operations in the kernel would then work on them,
> and they could refer to the parent directory and name of the actual
> listening socket;

This does have a certain amount of coolness potential, but I think that
trying to pretend that a socket is really a file won't work very well.
I'd really prefer that open() return a normal connected socket, a file
descriptor indistinguishable from what userland would get if it did a
socket()/connect() pair.

> - possibly in the future to implement pseudo seek/trunc/etc. that
> would be "controlled" by the stream's creator.

This would be neat to have (I did a proof-of-concept version of it back
in the bad old days of 4.3 on a VAX - a pseudofile for which all
operations ended up being just messages to the master half, a la the
pty driver), but I think such things should be distinct creatures all
their own, rather than "just" sockets accessed in an unusual way.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca