Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 13:48:41
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> I'm wondering... How much memory does running X use? How much additional
> drive space? I've got an SE/30 with eight megs of RAM and twenty of swap,
> and if it's feasable, I'd like to start running X.

Not sure for mac68k (I'm working on getting this port up, but my home
mac is still an a/ux box, and I've got too much on it (and too much
sentimental attachment to it to drop out now...)

>From i386:
    $ uname -mnr
    imladris.turner.com 1.2.1 i386
    $ du -sk /usr/X11R6
    du: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir: Permission denied
    77670   /usr/X11R6

You _should_ be able to trim this rather a bit...

As far as RAM, I ran in 12 MB RAM, 32 MB swap at home for quite some
time.  You'll _want_ more, but it can certainly be done.  Note that if
you run the server on another machine (i.e. display on another machine),
the memory issue really goes away.  X _clients_ just aren't _that_
heavy...

> Lastly, I've heard rumours of freeware Mac-side software that serves X.
> Does anyone have any information this way? What I *think* I'm looking for
> is something akin to eXodus or MacX. Another, related question: Would
> running an X connection over a 19200 baud SLIP connection be too painful to
> consider? Or would it be okay?

There is a package called MI/X which is a free MacOS (and Windoze) X
Server. It's pretty capable, although not the fastest thing in the
world.  Check out:

	http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix.htm

As far as X over 19200, this is going to be a royal pain.  Look into
using dxpc or lbx, both of which work by compressing and delta-ing
x-protocol packets at either end of a slow network link.  dxpc is
available at ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/, and lbx is, I believe once again
bundled with the X11 distribution.

Hope this helps...
--
				Jim Wise