Subject: Re: proposal: NetBSD system buyer's directory
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 09:54:50
> > To tell you the truth, I think a more interesting notion would
> > be a 'product registry' email.
>
> Yes, I like this idea.

 How would that work? How would you persuade computer assemblers to
give your "product registry" (whatever this is in the end) to their
customers?

 Or if you think they should do that themself - how would you persuade
them to take the time to install NetBSD and then register their PC to
NetBSD ("Yes, it runs with NetBSD", "Designed for NetBSD/97")?

 The idea is great, but I see big problems arising to persuade any of
them to take the time and see the usefullness.

 I am working for a bigger PC assembler in Germany and also have
good contacts to other assemblers. I know that they really like
the idea to register and declare their products to be able to
run whatever software. But I also know the turn-over of their
products and that they would be required to re-register almost
every month. Most, if not all, of the assemblers do currently not
have a evaluation department which could take care of that and
the registration.

--
Markus Illenseer