Subject: Re: proposal: NetBSD system buyer's directory
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, fair@clock.org>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/1997 17:02:14
This is an interesting idea, but the problem is that it's such
a moving target. It's also difficult in a large number of cases
when the actual hardware is by SAR (some assembly required). I'd
see that 70% of my systems are by that vendor.

To tell you the truth, I think a more interesting notion would
be a 'product registry' email. If you install a system, and it
can send email to the internet (or we can provide a postcript
printable form for someone to send in), I don't believe it's
unreasonable to have this be a 'reader survey' form, including
the latest dmesg or prtconf or what have you.

This way folks, including system vendors, can get a notion as
to what's actually being used.

-matt