Subject: Re: Giving up on the evil 486... :/ [Sympathy]
To: None <djv@bedford.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1997 17:30:36
According to D. J. Vanecek:

>	f) Some iconoclasts say that over-aggressive Linux code
>	is responsible for part of the problem. Apparently relying
>	on the published spex for DMA is over-aggressive. But, Linux
>	does rupture the bleeding edge from time to time. (Why I
>	run 'BSD reason #12312)

Hmmmm I know I will get a spew of "works fine for me"'s but when I was
running an AHA1542B in a 486DX/25 motherboard (Micronics one) I could
guarantee a memory parity error just by thrashing the scsi disk for a
while - unpacking part of the X11R6 distribution was all it took.  I
was able to _somewhat_ reduce the error by changing the bus on/off
times in the scsi driver.  The problem was with me from about NetBSD
0.9 times (or there abouts) and only really went away when I changed
the motherboard for a 486DX/33 (no brand one).

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P