Subject: Re: Giving up on the evil 486... :/
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1997 21:36:27
Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
| I'm seriously wondering, now... Should I give up? I don't know what's
| changed, but I can't successfully copy large files any more. Obviously
| SOMETHING has changed, but I can't say what.

I had/have the same problem.  I can't copy large files.

If I boot my machine with the 1.2G install kernel, it works, and I can compile
my own kernel.  If I boot my own kernel, then I can't copy large files, nor
can I recompile my kernel.  I have to boot back into the old (1.2G install)
kernel.  I also have to make sure I copy any kernels to my hard drive
using the 1.2G kernel.  Argh!

Suggestions:

1. Downgrade to NetBSD-1.1.  1.2 has always been a bit of trouble for me.
   Be sure to do nothing with your current setup, and boot cold with the
   1.1 install kernel.

2. Boot with the 1.2G install kernel, rm -rf your kernel source, sup fresh,
   build and try that kernel.