Subject: Re: hang during shutdown
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1997 12:07:09
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> We don't need another option, it would be sufficient to
> allow a -a argument and a filesystem specification at
> one time.

So what you're saying is:

	- mount with no options means `show mounts.'
	- mount -a with no other arguments means `mount all in /etc/fstab,
	  unless we think the file system is already mounted.'
	- mount -a with one or two arguments means `mount the specified
	  filesystem, unless we think it's already mounted.'

Why not a new option?  The `-a' option is neither mnemonic nor
particularly intuitive.  It also means changing the code in what I
consider to be gratuitous ways just to overload the new meaning onto the
current `-a' option.  In other words, a new option would be both less
invasive and more clearly a NetBSD enhancement.

> I'm not sure if this touches POSIX or other standards.

I'm not, either.  It'd be nice if one of the standards weenies (with a
copy of the standards in hand) would pipe up. :-)

--scott