Subject: pwd_mkdb elsewhere than /etc
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Baudoin <Marc.Baudoin@solsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1997 18:03:15
I think this problem can happen to anyone trying to set up an
anonymous FTP server.

I'd like to use a short password file to put in
/var/spool/ftp/etc, with only root and the ftp users inside.  So
I set up a /var/spool/ftp/master.passwd file accordingly and want
to get a pwd.db file from it for /var/spool/ftp/bin/ls to use.
Unfortunately, pwd_mkdb always creates files in /etc and, as it
is linked statically, I can't chroot to /var/spool/ftp to use it.

I think it would be great to have an optional parameter to
indicate the directory in which to install the files (which would
default to /etc to retain the actual behavior) :

pwd_mkdb master.passwd /var/spool/ftp/etc

What do you think of this?

As I discovered the problem today, I didn't modify pwd_mkdb but
I'm ready to do it if these changes are OK to be included in the
source tree.

--
Marc Baudoin   -=-   <Marc.Baudoin@solsoft.com>
Security On-Line software