Subject: Re: hang during shutdown
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1997 09:39:31
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Excerpts from netbsd: 12-Sep-97 Re: hang during shutdown Ronald
> Khoo@demon.net (565)
>
> > 	case "`mount`" in "* /usr *") ;; *) mount /usr ;; esac
>
> Not bad. (As long as nobody comes with a system where /usr is
> a block device special file...)
>
> I've to offer:
> /sbin/mount | (
> 	usrmounted=no
> 	while read what on where type fs; do
> 		if [ $where = /usr ]; then
> 			usrmounted=yes
> 		fi
> 	done
> 	echo $usrmounted
> )

I'm confused here. We're discussing cases where /usr gets mounted twice.
It's getting mounted twice from the same filesystem?

Isn't this a bug in mount? To quote the man page (from my infamous i386
snapshot :-)

mount(8)

     -a      Similar to the -A flag, except that if a file system (other than
             the root file system) appears to be already mounted, mount will
             not try to mount it again.  Mount assumes that a file system is
             already mounted if a file system with the same type is mounted on
             the given mount point.  More stringent checks are not possible
             because some file system types report strange values for the
             mounted-from device for mounted file systems.

Shouldn't mount be avoiding this anyway?

Or am I way low on clue this morning?

Take care,

Bill